Moodle jump to SPECIFIC Mahara page
While it is possible to link directly to a Mahara page - for example from a Moodle course to take the student to a specific group, unless you are using a secret URL (which has no editing rights) the user is prompted to login to Mahara before viewing the page.
These instructions show how to modify the link URL to take advantage of an existing Moodle-Mahara SSO so that the user arrives on the Mahara page already signed in to Mahara - a great advantage over jumping to the Mahara dashboard and then having to navigate, or having to sign in a second time and arriving at the desired page.
To prevent auto hyperlinking on this Mahara page I've added a space at the after http:// in all of the example URLs below (which aren't live links anyway). The instructions may appear more complicated than they actually are as I've tried to show them step by step - once you have the format these changes are pretty easy.
- Copy the jumplink URL from Moodle. Most institutions will display this as a sideblock (by default Network Servers, but you may have a more visual link that says Mahara). If this isn't displayed as a block your admin will have access to the correct address, but typically it will be as follows, with ?hostid=3 at the end:
- Paste this into notepad or other text editor - we will be doing some editing of the address of the mahara page, and that is easier to view on a page than in a URL field.
- Add &wantsurl= to the end of this
- Take a copy of the URL for the Mahara page you want the link to arrive at
eg. http:// www.mahara.myorg.ac.uk/group/view.php?id=1234
- Paste this onto the end of the URL you are building
http:// moodle.myorg.ac.uk/auth/mnet/jump.php?hostid=3&wantsurl=http:// www.mahara.myorg.ac.uk/group/view.php?id=1234
- Delete the first part of the Mahara URL - http:// www.mahara.myorg.ac.uk
- Edit the remaining part of the URL to replace symbols with the URL Hex code - for a list of these and other hex codes see http://www.obkb.com/dcljr/charstxt.html
|slash / %2F
||question mark ? %3F||equals sign = %3D|
- http:// moodle.myorg.ac.uk/auth/mnet/jump.php?hostid=3&wantsurl=%2Fgroup%2Fview.php%3Fid%3D1234
- Create your link text on Moodle
eg Please go to this page on Mahara
- Hyperlink this with the URL you have built
- Test your link. From a logged in Moodle it should take you to the correct page on Mahara, signed in as yourself.
These steps related to a group - but the same principle applies to individual pages (and the address may be simpler). Obviously, for a link leading to a group the user still needs to join the group to access resources, and for an individual page they need permission to view.
About the author
I promote the use of Technology Enhanced Learning, supporting Vet School staff and students develop confidence in using multimedia, eLearning and technology, with a particular focus on Moodle and Mahara. Previously I was the Learning Technologist for the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, encouraging use of technology, digital and social media within performing arts education.
From 2002-09 I was the Learning Innovation Officer at Skills Development Scotland and learndirect scotland, managing the national learning bytes online platform, leading on EQUAL funded partnership projects, and delivering services to enhance learning opportunities nationally.
My past career includes Course Manager and Lecturer roles in Life Sciences, and several years applied animal behaviour and welfare research, with a particular focus on zoo and exotic animals.
My core job interests include service design, accessibility and usability, learner engagement and creative approaches, eLearning development, and instructional design.
Room 222g (Teaching Unit) | McCall Building | School of Veterinary Medicine
College of Medical, Veterinary & Life Sciences | University of Glasgow
Bearsden Road | Glasgow | G61 1QH
Phone 0141 330 x5313
- First name: Gordon
- Last name: McLeod
- Occupation: Learning Technologist