My name is James ______ and I am a second year Bachelor of Accountancy student at the University of Glasgow. This highly respected accredited degree is based within one of the longest established accounting departments in the UK. The Department was ranked 1st in Scotland and 5th in the UK in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise.
My current interests include international business and management accounting. I am particularly interested in the way in which a detailed understanding of cost and budgeting is integral to all effective management decisions. I am also extremely interested in the ways in which businesses operate within an international environment and, in particular, the role and function of multinational corporations.
In my future career I hope to be able to use my highly developed language skills to secure employment as a Chartered Management Accountant in an international firm. I would be particularly keen to specialise in the area of corporate finance in a large international firm with the opportunity for travel.
In 2006 I completed a 3 month summer placement with Godfrey Stern International in Hong Kong in their product control section. I have recently been accepted on to KPMG's 8-week paid summer placement scheme which will take place between July and August 2010. This placement will be within their Tax and Pensions practice.
Professional Development ePortfolio Page
This ePortfolio page provides an overview of my skills and competencies developed during my time at university. It also reflects on my future career goals and possible destinations. It was developed throughout my undergraduate degree in Accounting and Finance at the University of Glasgow.
This page is divided into the following sections:
- Transferable skills - these sections reflect on the skills I have developed in the course of my undergraduate studies and provides detailed examples and evidence of where and in what way these skills have been developed.
- Career Planning - these sections reflect on my long and short term career aspirations, the types of companies I could envisage myself working for, and a selection of current jobs of relevance to my career aspirations
- Training Needs and Skills Development Plan - this section provides details of the skills development and training activities I have been involved in so far, and those areas I intend to develop further in the future
- Professional memberships (optional)
- Curriculum vitae (optional)